- Published on Monday, 22 July 2013 23:54
The Barony of the Lonely Tower presents
January 4th, 2014
9am until 9pm
Please join us on this special occasion to celebrate
the investiture of the ninth Baron and Baroness of the Lonely Tower
Meistari Gabriel Kjotvason &
Contessa Giulia Isabella da Venezia
Site: Mount Michael Benedictine School, 22520 Mount Michael Road, Elkhorn, NE 68022
Site Fees: Adults: $10.00, Children age 5-18: $5.00, Children age 4 or younger: Free, Non-member surcharge $5.00, Family cap. 2 adults, 2 children (site only)
Heavy Weapons Combat: Yes! There will be lots of it!
Cut & Thrust: Yes! The pointy end goes into the other man!
- Goin' A Viking & Brynjolf's Forge: hand made soaps, perfume oils, Celtic & Norse pendants, woven Celtic knot jewelry, kumihimo kids, and an assortment of blacksmith and bladesmith goods.
- Odyssey Craftworks: We design and produce our own line of fragrance oils and we also design and produce jewelry cast in pewter, anti-ox sterling silver, and gold. Our motifs are strongly influenced by middle ages and dark ages European histories and we also have the ability to produce limited production custom pieces for households, baronies, or Kingdoms. You can preview our wares at www.odysseycraftworks.com
- Herbal Remedies with Lasairiona inghean Talamh: Class cap at 10 – cough and lung remedies from various places and times within period, and participants will leave with a safe and effective recipe that could have been used in period.
- Basic Garb with Her Excellency Juliane de Saint-Thomas: Class cap 10 – lecture class for newcomers or people new to sewing, a simple tunic for men or women and then how to adjust the look for different times and places
- Coin Making with THL Ealdread of Malmesbury: The steps to make coins, participants will be learning and practicing making coins all day
- Venetian Courtesans with Magdalena Lucia Ramberti of the Outlands
- Italian Paper Fans with Lelia Corsini: Class cap 10 - construction and decoration of Italian paper fans
- Dance class with Lelia Corsini: focus on English Country with some others
- Intermediate Opus Anglicanum with HL Fiondel Songspinner: Class cap 10 – Hands on ‘How to deal with tricks and troubles’ for those with a working knowledge of embroidery, and some understanding of Opus Anglicanum
- Gothic Whitework with Master Rolf Hobart: Class cap 8, Min Age 14 - structure and drafting of the repeating lineal border designs characteristic of the International Gothic style of illumination. Topics include: color and materials, a visual survey of period examples and hands-on practice of drafting several basic repeating patterns.
- We will also have singing, and a Viking series in preparation of our Viking themed Lilies this year.
- 'A Winter Celebration’ in any medium. The Barony of the Lonely Tower invites all artisans to bring works celebrating the time of year, activities, and fellowship of this joyous season.
- 'Winter Masks' open to all ages. We will have a decoration competition on-site, but anyone may also bring his or her pieces from home.
- On-site 'snow sculpture' competition. (Weather provided)
- Pasta - Cheese-Gilded Linguine with: Smoky Tomato Sauce, Vegetarian Tomato Sauce or Butter
- Sides - Crackers, Cheese, Black and Green Olives, Pickle Spear, Fresh Fruit, Hard-Boiled Egg, Plain and Garlic Bread
- Drinks - Coffee, Tea, Lemonade, Soda Pop or Water
- This is a tentative menu. Updates will be made as needed.
Bake Sale: The Calontir Glassworker's Guild will have lots of goodies for sale so be sure to save room for dessert!
1st course from the North
Bread, skyr, & butter
Gluten free bread available upon request.
Fava Beans & Garlic - roasted fava beans & whole garlic cloves, seasoned lightly with oil & pepper.
Ingredients: fava beans, garlic cloves, olive oil, black pepper, & white pepper.
Fresh Fruit & Berries - a variety of fruits & berries tossed with lemon & sugar.
Ingredients: apples, pears, berries, lemon juice, & sugar.
Honir nidrvegheth (Chickens Hunter Style) - roast chicken served in a seasoned wine broth.
Ingredients: chicken thighs (roasted in olive oil, salt, & pepper), chicken broth, garlic powder, white wine, salt, herbs, & beaten egg yolks.
2nd course from the West
Sallet - salad of various lettuces, herbs, & fruits.
Ingredients: lettuce, spinach, fresh herbs, onion, scallion, red cabbage, cucumber, raisins, walnuts, oranges, lemons, red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar.
Pyes de Pares – a small beef pie with currants, dates, and ginger.
Ingredients: beef, raisins, dates, egg yolks, ginger, salt, red wine, sugar, wheat flour, butter.
Roasted Roots – variety of root vegetables roasted with oil, salt, and pepper
Ingredients: carrots, celeriac, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, beets.
A REMOVE -- QUEEN'S WAFER
Fyne cakes – a spiced sugar cookie
Ingredients: wheat flour, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, grains of paradise, cream.
Gluten free option available upon request.
3rd course from the South
IN CANABIM (Cabbage a la Romane) - A dish of cabbage cooked in seasoned broth.
Ingredients: Cabbage, strong vegetable broth, pepper, saffron.
CVCVRBITA IN RAFANI (Cucumbers and gourds with seasoned radishes) - Cucumber and gourd salad dressed with seasoned radishes.
Ingredients: Cucumbers, zucchini, parsley, and radishes in salt, pepper, vinegar, oil
ESICvMSICvLvM (Macaroni) - A dish of macaroni, butter, cheese, & herbs.
Ingredients: Macaroni, rosewater, broth, hard cheese, butter, mild herbs.
Gluten free option available upon request.
IN PVLPAM ROMANAM (Meat in the Roman style), IVS CONDITVM VINVM (Sauce of spiced wine) - Roast seasoned pork served with an aromatic wine sauce.
Ingredients: Pork loin, fennel, salt, red wine, cloves, cinnamon, mace, black pepper, rice flour, strong broth.
A REMOVE – to be decided.
4th course from the East
Various fruit & nut delicacies
Ingredients: Sliced pears, dried apricots, figs, dates, sugared almonds and walnuts
Qananit – a rolled nut pastry
Ingredients: walnuts, pistachios, honey, sugar, grains of paradise, cinnamon, orange oil, salt, wheat flour, coconut oil.
Hot Moroccan tea
Ingredie nts: mint, green tea, cardamom, cloves, honey
As always, the kitchen staff retains the right to alter the menu depending upon ingredient availability, kitchen disaster, and plain old bad temper.
Additional Site Info: This is a dry site. No smoking. No pets. No open flames.
Directions: Take your best route to I-680 in Omaha, NE. Follow I-680 to Maple Street (exit 4) and go West. Turn right on 216th Street. Turn left on Mount Michael Rd. Turn at your first right into the high school.